Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need Landlord Insurance?

When it comes to the protection of your property, landlords insurance is a policy addition that can give you great peace of mind. Depending on your provider, landlords insurance can cover you for accidental or malicious damage to both the structure of your property and any contents that you may have leased to your tenants for their use. It can also cover you for loss of rent and can include public liability insurance which is a requirement under our management agreement. Due to the world becoming much more litigious we require all of our Landlords to have a minimum cover of $10 million for your & our protection.  This is a complex issue and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss it further with you.

Can I charge the tenant for water?

The landlord is able to pass on the full cost of water consumption to the tenant, provided:

  • the rental property is individually metered, and

  • the rental property is classed as being water efficient,

  • the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption

For more information & to check if your property is water efficient, go to:

Should I allow Pets?

At the end of the day this is your choice. Australia is a nation of pet lovers and a well-managed pet-friendly rental property may help to broaden your pool of prospective tenants, reduce time and money spent on advertising and decrease the number of days your property remains unoccupied in between tenancies.
For properties that our landlords agree to allow pets we ensure a pet agreement is signed by the tenant at the start of tenancy. For a copy please just ask.

How do I receive my rent?

At First National Cairns Central and Cairns Beaches we are mindful of your cashflow & therefore account to you twice a month.
Your rent is paid to you by electronic funds transfer into your nominated account and a statement emailed to you twice each month (on the closest working day to the 15th & last day of each month).

How do I change my property over if it is currently being managed by another agent?

Simple! If you currently have a property managed by another agent and you're not satisfied with the service you’re getting. All you’ll have to do is fill out the Termination Advice Letter (we’ll send you this letter and form) which you then send back a signed copy of that letter to us, and fill out a new management agreement with First National Cairns Central and Cairns Beaches and we’ll take care of everything else for you. 
We will organise to recover all of the paperwork from your current property manager, organise for the tenant to be notified and for the keys to be collected from your previous property manager. Everything else carries on as usual. Changing your property management over to us could never be easier.

Who chooses my tenant?

At the end of the day you choose your tenant. We provide you with a comprehensive application & background check to make an informed decision. We would never ever put a tenant into your investment property without your approval.

How often do you inspect my investment property?

The Act states that we can enter no less than every 3 months after a previous entry by the lessor or agent for the purpose of a routine inspection.  At First National Cairns Central and Cairns Beaches routine inspections are undertaken every 13 weeks to make sure that the condition of your investment property is being maintained by the tenant. We also identify any minor or major maintenance that is required to be conducted in order to limit any liability against you, to ensure that your landlord insurance is not jeopardised and to retain the capital investment.